| 1. The desire to dominate children for genuine control purposes.|
2. The desire to engage in sadism and masochism, or to enjoy “power trips” over helpless and sexually attractive victims.
3. The desire to promote false religious teachings and idealized “tradition” myths that place the perpetrator “on top” of people with less power.
4. The desire to fulfill the sexual mounting instinct where a man, or a woman with an excess of testosterone at critical times in life, desires to force a smaller, younger submissive person to bend over for the larger or dominant adult to mount them sexually from the rear. This is sublimated with paddling. It allows the adult hitter to batter upturned buttocks with a piece of wood, in place of actual rape dominance.
5. The desire to commit sexual abuse and harassment in a way that is undetected and unprosecutable because of the pretense of “discipline” of a younger person.
6. The desire to produce erotic spanking movies and materials for adult consumption, and perhaps for profit.
7. The desire to commit sexual abuse in a way that is “legal” and which the courts are confused by.
8. The desire of “flagellants” to be cleansed from sin or impurity through beatings—which are most often the result of these people having been regularly and severely spanked, strapped, or paddled, often naked, with the Bible quoted or prayers mixed in.
| The last point deserves further comment. These “flagellant” women were often told as children that their “sins were being purified” with the beatings. This manipulative lie is, by the way, a direct contradiction of nearly universal Christian teaching that these same adults would likely otherwise acknowledge, that we cannot atone for our own sins. We can never “pay for them,” and that is why Christ “had to be” sacrificed in our stead. God is not, according to any Christian theology that I’m aware of, sitting in heaven ready to send kids to hell, but seeing them endure naked beatings suddenly deciding to “bring them to heaven.” What a sad, sick, and lifetime damaging lie that is that so corrupts religion, even beyond the already traumatic physical and sexual ordeal the kids are trying to cope with.|
| We are focusing, of all of these types and uses of spanking, on school paddling, and concentrating most on the large, nearly 50%, subset of that, where men are paddling women. The overt motivation in such cases is “discipline” in the school. Many troubling overtones of sexual abuse and harassment, however, are present also and, in fact, overpower the pretended reasons.|
| Of course many items from the above list can mix together, even when they seem at first glance to be unrelated. A man at a religious school, and even a public school in some cases, may paddle, strap, or somehow beat students, and then pray with them afterwards, or quote out of context biblical passages, and thus mix religion in with a sexually abusive school beating. Many spanking desires listed above, such as the mounting instinct where a male principal may be fulfilling deep longings by paddling submissive males or females, obviously play direct roles in school paddling. Paddling also holds possibilities of hidden sexual harassment in the school, a hidden form of sexual abuse, and an extreme power trip over helpless smaller people.|
| Even the spanking locales and remote motives that seem unrelated to school paddling often have a peripheral involvement. When frats or sororities paddle “plebes” for “initiation” or for “discipline,” for example, it is furthering a method of abuse that many of those same people will, in turn, be more likely to inflict upon children and young adults years later. Some of them "carry on the paddling tradition" when they graduate and become schoolteachers, principals, parents, uncles, church camp counselors, etc.|
| The frat or sorority itself can become physically abusive. Most cases we never hear of due to the secrecy students are forced to uphold to be allowed to join, but sometimes the damage is such that it cannot be hid. One frat recently sent dozens of plebes to the hospital with severe bruising, and injuries that included kidney failure. The paddlings were very intense and were dished out by older alumni who “really enjoyed” the paddlings, and made trips across the United States to take part.|
| It should be noted that many frats do not paddle or haze initiates at all. I suspect, from anecdotal stories from my own friends, and from our interviews, that “discipline paddlings” are much more common in places that have a lot of school paddling. If that is true then school paddling helps feed the college paddling, and vice-versa. Even though college paddling is done between consenting adults, these paddlings further child abuse by making the paddling a big joke. They promote the idea that college age adults are not too old to be paddled, so teens in high school certainly are not. They may themselves become abusive or exploitive as well. There may also be more than a bit of sexual enjoyment on the part of the students who are paddling or watching the show.|